New to apartment hunting? You're in for a whirlwind of activity and fun! Find out what to expect on your go-around and the apartment tour questions you should ask to help you find the perfect one.
What’s the Big Deal, Anyway?
Business icon Robert Half once said that asking the right questions takes as much skill as giving the right answers. Our mission is to help you know the right questions to ask when touring an apartment, so you can find the best apartment in no time.
After all, an apartment tour isn’t just a five-minute ordeal. An apartment tour gives you the chance to find out if the place is right for you and helps you avoid any unpleasant surprises. It’s the closest thing you’ll have to a test drive before move-in.
Don’t leave anything to chance! Find out if that apartment should be your next move by asking apartment managers these questions:
Questions About the Apartment
- Is there an application fee?
- What is the deposit amount? Is it refundable?
- Does the apartment require renters insurance?
- When is the rent due?
- What forms of rent payment are acceptable? (cash, check, charge/debit)
- Can I pay rent online or through EFT?
- Is there a grace period for late payments?
- Which, if any, utilities are included in my rent? (water, gas, cable, trash, etc.)
- How are utility costs calculated for each tenant?
- Which, if any, additional deposits, fees, or charges should I be aware of?
- Are there currently any offers or discounts available on the apartment?
- For how long is the lease? Can I renew?
- What happens if I have to break the lease?
- What recourse do I have if I decide to leave for a reason related to poor conditions, lease violations, delayed maintenance, etc.?
- Do I incur an expense if anything in the apartment needs to be repaired?
If you have any questions about the types of leases you may encounter, we have answers for you.
Making It Home
- What is the apartment guest policy?
- Can I have pets in the apartment?
- What, if any, changes can I make to the inside of the apartment? (painting walls, hanging photos, replacing light fixtures, etc.)
- Are window treatments included?
- Am I allowed to add a roommate?
- Under what conditions can the property manager enter my apartment?
Questions About the Apartment Complex
Hours and Access
- What are the leasing office hours?
- What are the hours of the facilities (pool, fitness center, laundry facility, etc.)?
- Do any of the facilities require an extra fee to access?
- Are washers and dryers available? During what hours?
- How are maintenance requests made?
- Is 24-hour emergency maintenance available?
- Is a parking fee or permit required?
- How many spaces are available for each tenant and guests?
Health and Safety
- Are individual apartment locks changed between occupants?
- How is access to the apartment building handled?
- What is the crime rate for the area?
- Do residents consider the complex safe at night?
- How many times have police been dispatched to the building/complex/area in the last three years?
- Where are the fire extinguishers located?
- What security measures — including fire and carbon monoxide detectors — are deployed throughout the building/complex?
- How often is each building checked for mold?
- Is smoking allowed in the building or on the premises?
- How should I deal with noisy neighbors?
Questions About the Area
- Are there plans to make upgrades to the complex or nearby area?
- What’s the neighborhood like?
- How long have you managed this apartment location?
- Where is the nearest public transit? (subway, bus, etc.)
- For how many years do tenants typically stay in the complex?
- Is subletting, or using a service like Airbnb, allowed?
- How many apartment/parking garage/storage unit break-ins or attempted break-ins have occurred within the complex in the last three years?
- Would you characterize the area as having a pest problem?
We’re Here for You from Tour Kickoff to Tour Close
ApartmentSearch is here from your first apartment tour to your last. Find an apartment to tour through ApartmentSearch.com, sign a lease, and get up to $200 in rewards, just for being a smart apartment searcher!